This cashew milk ice cream is a dairy free and low carb frozen dessert made with just 4 ingredients! Smooth, creamy, and ready in minutes!
The Best Cashew Milk Ice Cream
You might remember that I’ve already shared ice cream recipes here using dairy free milk: Almond milk ice cream and oat milk ice cream but none have been as creamy as this!
If you’ve gone to the supermarket recently, you’ll notice that cashew milk has become a prominent feature. More and more non-dairy milks are becoming available and while delicious on its own, it works well as ice cream.
This cashew milk ice cream recipe is a game changer. It’s so much cheaper than store-bought brands and tastes even better.
By the way, the texture is incredible: smooth, creamy, and perfectly delicious.
It’s so easy to make and requires very little prep and just 4 ingredients.
You have the option to use an ice cream maker or if you don’t have one, that’s fine too.
Oh, and you’d like to try even more ice cream recipes that don’t use dairy, try coconut ice cream and strawberry ice cream.
The ingredient list to make this ice cream is very simple and uses staples like yolks and powdered sugar. Just remember to refrigerate the cashew milk prior to making the ice cream.
- Cashew milk. Unsweetened and unflavored cashew milk. I like to use ones from the chilled section but shelf stable milk also works.
- Eggs yolks. Room temperature. Save the egg whites to make meringue cookies or add them to coconut flour pancakes.
- Powdered sugar. Also known as confectioners’ sugar. Be sure to sift it well to ensure there are no clumps.
- Vanilla bean powder. While vanilla extract works, this powder adds a much more fabulous flavor.
How to make cashew milk ice cream
Although there are a few steps to make this dessert, it’s very hands-off and the hard part is waiting for the ice cream to freeze up!
Ready to whip them up?
Step 1- Heat the cashew milk
Start by adding the cashew milk into a small saucepan and place it over low heat. Once it simmers, remove it from the heat.
Step 2- Combine ingredients and heat
Next, whisk together the yolks and powdered sugar until combined. Gently whisk in the almond milk slowly. Be sure to do it slowly, so the eggs do not scramble. Once combined, place it back in the saucepan and heat until it thickens.
Step 3- Refrigerate until chilled
Now, cover the saucepan and place it in the refrigerator and let it chill for 2-4 hours.
Step 4- Churn into ice cream
Once the ice cream has chilled, pour it into an ice cream bowl and churn for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy it immediately as a soft serve ice cream or freeze it until firm.
Can I make this without an ice cream maker?
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, don’t fret: you can still enjoy this ice cream but change up step 4.
Instead of using a machine to churn it, transfer the chilled mix to a freezer friendly container and place it in the freezer for an hour. To ensure it doesn’t ice up, stir it every 10-15 minutes for the first hour.
Tips to make the recipe
- Always heat the ingredients on low heat to prevent it scorching and allowing the yolks to blend into the ingredients.
- If you choose to add mix-ins, fold them through while the ice cream is churning.
- Do not use reduced fat or light cashew milk, as it will not yield the correct results.
Love So Delicious cashew milk frozen desserts? Easily replicate them using this ice cream recipe as a base. Here is what to add:
- Banana foster: Add 2 large frozen bananas, 1/4 cup chocolate (chopped) and a pinch of cocoa powder.
- Snickerdoodle: Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and some crushed up snickerdoodle cookies.
- Salted caramel: Fold through 1/2 cup caramel and a pinch of sea salt.
- Dark chocolate truffle: Add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and 1/4 cup of chopped chocolate fudge.
- Chocolate cookies and cream: Add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of crushed Oreos (or homemade Oreos).
Dietary swaps and substitutions
The beauty of this cashew ice cream is just how easy it is to customize with a plethora of alternatives. Here are some suggestions:
- Make them keto friendly. Replace the powdered sugar with a keto powdered sugar.
- Skip the yolks. If you want to try this as a vegan ice cream, swap out the yolks for frozen banana or frozen coconut chunks.
- Make it creamier. Replace half the cashew milk with full fat coconut milk from a can.
- Add mix-ins. Add chocolate chips, walnuts, or dried fruit.
Like any good ice cream, you should always keep it frozen in the freezer. Keep it covered and it will keep well for up to two months.
Try to avoid refreezing the ice cream, as it can sometimes become icy or firm. If this occurs, let it sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before scooping.
More ice cream recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Compared to other full-fat ice cream brands on the market, this homemade ice cream is healthier. Because there is no heavy cream in it, it cuts down on the fat and calories considerably.
Although the base is made with cashew milk, there is no clear cashew flavor at all. If anything, it tastes like vanilla bean.
When made with a sugar substitute, this ice cream is suitable for a keto diet and will have just 2 grams of carbs.
- 2 cups cashew milk unsweetened and unflavored
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar * See notes
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
Add the cashew milk in a small saucepan and place it over low heat. Once it simmers, remove it from the heat.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with powdered sugar and vanilla powder until combined. Gently whisk in the warm milk until combined. Be sure to do so carefully to ensure the egg yolks don’t get cooked.
Transfer the mixture back into the saucepan and place back over low heat and let it simmer until it thickens.
Cover the saucepan and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours, or until chilled.
Once chilled, pour the mix into an ice cream maker bowl and churn in the ice cream maker for 5-10 minutes.
Enjoy immediately or freeze until completely frozen.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 44mg | Potassium: 9mg | Vitamin A: 123IU | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.2mg | NET CARBS: 8g