This chocolate chip banana bread is moist, fluffy, and takes minutes to prep! One bowl, no eggs, and no dairy, it’s truly the best quick bread recipe.
The best chocolate chip banana bread
It’s no secret that we love a good banana bread.
We’ve made the classic, a low carb version, and even one with 3 ingredients. Our favorite, however, is studded with chocolate chips.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- No eggs needed. Unlike most quick bread recipes, this one skips out on the eggs, but you’d never tell.
- Just 2 minutes prep. Seriously, the oven takes care of all the hard work, so there is very little hands-on time.
- Moist and fluffy. This nails the texture department and is what you’d expect from any good banana bread.
- Easily made gluten free. With just a few swaps, you can make this a loaf suitable for celiacs!
Okay, so my original banana bread recipe had over one hundred 5 star reviews. That recipe is made with no flour, so it is the perfect flourless recipe to have on hand. This one, however, is perfect when you want something a little special.
- Bananas– the browner your bananas are, the sweeter they will be!
- All-purpose flour– You can use regular all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour. Be wary of the brands of gluten-free flour you use, as some have additives in it that can make sweet bread gummy.
- Sugar– I recommend sticking to white sugar (table sugar, monk fruit sweetener), or use part white and part brown sugar. Using all brown sugar (or coconut sugar) will yield a heavier loaf, and also have a very strong flavor.
- Baking soda– To help the bread rise and have that gorgeous dome shape we love!
- Butter- Replaces the need for any oil in the recipe, while keeping the bread buttery and super moist.
- Milk– Any milk or dairy-free milk will work- I’ve used oat milk, unsweetened almond milk, and soy milk.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good banana bread recipe!
- Apple cider vinegar– This helps the bread rise and be fluffy, without the need for any eggs!
- Chocolate Chips– Use a mix of chocolate chunks and chocolate chips to ensure the chocolate is dispersed between the entire loaf. Be sure to reserve a few to top the bread with it.
- Walnuts– Optional, but highly recommended. There is nothing I love more than the chocolate/walnut combination.
How to make chocolate chip banana bread
Making this banana bread is so simple, and needs no fancy kitchen gadgets to prepare!
Step 1- Make the batter
In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. Mash your bananas, and add those to the bowl, along with the other wet ingredients. Mix until just combined, as we don’t want to over-mix it! Using a rubber spatula, fold through the chocolate chips and walnuts (if using them).
Step 2- Place in the pan
Transfer to a loaf pan and top the bread with extra chocolate chips and walnuts.
Step 3- Bake time
Now we bake! Bake the chocolate chip banana bread for around 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center. Oven makes and models vary, so you may find your banana chocolate chip bread taking a little longer to cook. Once cooked, remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan.
Remember, the banana bread continues to cook as it cooled!
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not over-mix the batter, as that can really affect whether the banana bread rises beautifully, or sinks. I know it is tempting, but avoid it!
- Mash the bananas with a fork, instead of blending it, as the extra lumps will give the bread an even more delicious texture.
- Always line the loaf pan with parchment paper, instead of just greasing it. This bakes the banana bread more evenly and avoids any potential for it to stick. Also, use more than necessary, so that there is an inch on each side ‘overhanging’. This makes removing the cooked banana chocolate chip bread from the loaf pan seamless.
Store banana bread in a sealed container or covered in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator at all times. Because of how moist it is, it can easily spoil if left at room temperature.
How long does banana bread last? Refrigerated banana bread will keep for up to 7 days. I recommend consuming within 5 days for optimum freshness.
Can you freeze banana bread? YES! Banana chocolate chip bread is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer.
Either freeze the loaf completely whole or slice up pieces individually. Place them in a ziplock bag. They will keep well frozen for up to 6 months.
To thaw, either remove from the freeze and microwave instantly or thaw at room temperature until no longer frozen.
More banana bread recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
When made with dairy free butter and dairy free milk, this recipe is suitable for vegans.
To combat this, you should ALWAYS fold through the chocolate chips at the end of the recipe preparation, instead of all at once.
Alternatively, you can toss the chocolate chips in a few tablespoons of flour. This stops them from sinking to the bottom too.bottom,
Yes, you can cook or bake your banana chocolate chip bread in a glass pan, but be wary that the heat distributes differently. To combat this, bake the banana bread at 170C/325F to compensate.
Swap out the all purpose flour for a gluten free blend and this recipe is then suitable for celiacs.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, reserving a few inches on each side overhanging.
In a large mixing bowl, add your flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and mix well. Add your mashed bananas, softened butter, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and mix of choice, and mix until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold through your chocolate chips of choice.
Transfer your batter into the lined loaf pan. Top with extra chocolate chips and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out just clean from the center.
Remove banana chocolate chip bread and allow to cool in the pan completely.
** If you follow a vegan diet, use dairy free butter and milk.
TO STORE: Leftovers will keep at room temperature, covered, for up to one week. To keep it longer, refrigerate it.
TO FREEZE: Place the cooled bread in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 22mg | Fiber: 5g | Vitamin A: 360IU | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 2mg | NET CARBS: 24g